Sunday, April 25, 2010

My CHU

The trailers we live in here are called CHUs which stands for Community Housing Units, I think. They are pretty similar to what we lived in at Balad, but my room is much smaller this time. I'm not complaining though, Amy (a friend from USC) reminds me that I could be in Afghanistan living a 15 person tent with 19 people. No thanks, I'm happy here. My half of the room is pretty simple - a bed, nightstand, wall-locker, plastic drawers, and a tuff bin that my roommate emptied out and is letting me use for storage (it's pretty empty right now). My roommate has a small fridge and a TV that she shares with me. She is an intelligence analyst, also 28 years old with two kids and a husband in the military, so we get along very well. Every Sunday I swiffer and dust, and change my linens, so here are pictures of my newly cleaned room :)


That's a cup of Starbuck Via coffee on the nightstand - my Sunday treat (thanks mom!)

Febreeze and wall-hooks make my uniforms wearable for about 3 days (at least until it gets really hot, then I'll just need to buy more uniforms)

I like getting pictures and cards!

The contractors wash and fold my laundry, but I just end up throwing it all in my messy wall-locker (some things don't change)

Work is going great. The work is just okay, but I really like the people I work with - they are really funny and we laugh a lot. In good humor they gave me a ton of crap (Doug would even have been impressed) when I misplaced my wedding band (I think I took it off when I was washing my hands, not something I normally do, and forgot about it) and had to buy this gem to replace it. The gold may be real, the diamond definitely isn't. I wanted just a band, but of course, no such luck. Micaela will have fun with it once I get a new one this summer.


4 comments:

Mari said...

Oh.my.gosh. First that necklace - now your ring! I think you are only allowed jewelry from vending machines from now on! Holy moly. Kurt should give me all the rest of your things for safe keeping!

I do like that bling though. Fan-cy. And your room is so super clean compared to the pictures I saw of Gabe's! We'll send you some wall art.

Michelle A'etonu said...

Ah, memories! Liz, I'm glad to hear that you're well over there. And your CHUs are a lot better than the ones that they have in Kirkuk. thank goodness I didn't have to live in those long! Where are you by the way?

Liz and Kurt said...

Ok, well I found the necklace (or Sharon found it in a backpack that I had left in PA). Maybe the ring will turn up? Not holding my breath.

Misty said...

Do you carry a wallet over there? I can't imagine you do, or you would have lost that already too...

I don't think I have your address - email it to me so I can send you some goodies.