Saturday, April 28, 2007

Kitchen Disasters

I fully admit that my culinary skills suck (and that's being slightly generous). Ask anyone in my family and they'll agree. I tried to boil water once and the pot caught on fire... I still don't really know what happened. But as time goes on, I imagine that I am getting better, and then I have nights like the other night. Kurt was out, so I took it upon myself to throw some chicken in the oven. I called Mari to make sure that I was doing the chicken right, and it seemed to be going okay. Then I went to make rice, one of the boxed versions. I started boiling the water and then I got distracted and forgot all about it. When I remembered, I was all worried about how much water had evaporated so I hurried and tore open the box and dumped the contents into the water spilling half of the rice all over the counter. Of course there was a seasoning pouch that went right into the boiling water too. Being the genius helicopter pilot that I am, my quick reaction was to reach in and grab the pouch out, slightly burning myself in the process. So, with half of the water evaporated and half of the rice on the counter, I figured it couldn't get any worse and I just put a lid on it and started laughing at myself. How in the hell do you mess up boxed rice?? If you want to know, now you know who to ask.

3 comments:

Mari said...

Was it rice-a-roni? If it was, you're supposed to add the rice BEFORE the water...

DougE said...

Now, allow me to understand this. You're an officer in the US Army, you fly a multi-million dollar piece of highly technical machinery, and yet, not only can you NOT boil rice, you shoved your hand into a pot of boiling water?

DougE said...

Thinking more on your adventures with rice, I'm wondering if you didn't tell us the whole story.

You ended with "I covered the pot & started laughing."

But I'm thinking you left out the part where you walked away from the covered pot of rice & it boiled over.