Friday, January 16, 2009

Giving in

Yesterday I was at Costco filling the prescription for my strep throat medicine when the lady in line behind me said "you can tell she's going to be tall like her mom". I took a look at Jon, he was wearing a white onsie with baby blue trim that said I love mommy on the front in different colors with brown and baby blue pants. Now I know that it's impossible to tell baby boys and girls apart based on looks. That's why you take a guess based on the clothes. I didn't hold it against the lady, but when I went to dress Jon today I put him in a brown and white striped onsie with brown stretchy pants. Brown in definitely boyish. Then I went to Walmart where the cashier told me that "she needs a bow in her hair". WTF!!! I was seriously perplexed. Maybe it's because I bought some baby girl socks for a friend? But I also bought boy socks for Jon, so that's not really a good excuse. I guess it's time to give in and put away the onsie outfits and start dressing Jon in all the real clothes (jean/khaki pants, button up shirts, polo shirts, etc) that I've gotten from various friends and relatives. Ugh. :)

On another note, today Micaela had a "snow day". When I saw this on her school calendar I thought it might mean a day off of school since that's what it means in Mammoth. But no, not in Southern California. While the rest of the country freezes, we just pretend it's freezing by wear snow clothes to school. For Micaela, that meant matching a scarf and boots with her mini-skirt and t-shirt outfit. I made her put on the jacket too so she didn't look completely ridiculous. I have to meet her when school ends to give her money for a snow-cone. I'd bet quite a few of the kids in her class have never actually seen real snow. Weird.




And sort of random - I took this picture at the hotel we stayed at in Arizona. Kurt told me that he felt like he was pooping in the middle of an old-west town (which I still think is funny).


4 comments:

Uma and Wil said...

I don't know about brown being boyish. Chase has lots of clothes that are pink and brown, and, yes, people still ask if she's a boy or a girl. We also buy lots of clothes for her from the boy's department because they are way cooler.

Misty said...

That's okay, he'll look like a little boy soon enough. And I think your blog needs more bathroom pictures. :)

Mari said...

Where's the blog about the pretty princess, wait, I mean, the manly man's crawling!??!

Mari said...

PS. And Uma is right, brown is becoming very "in" for girls. And I've seen pink polo shirts for boys too. There's no hope.