Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

Well, I have to tell you - the dining facility (AKA DFAC) went all out for Thanksgiving this year. They put up some decorations a week or so ago and they looked nice, but I was not expecting the additional things they had out there today. It was awesome. There is a rule about no photography in the DFAC, but no one seemed to be paying attention to that today, so I took some pictures too.

There is an Army tradition where on Thanksgiving the Officers serve the food to the Soldiers, but here there are so many officers that they limited it to O-5 / LTC and above. I have to say, it was pretty cool to have MG Jones asking if I wanted gravy on my turkey. I've only had the chance to do this once as a Company Commander, but it's one of my favorite traditions. The picture near the bottom is my immediate supervisor (the one in the hat) just getting off his shift. They had a good time I think.









So I said the place looked great right? Well the food wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. They had a lot more options than what I chose to put on my plate (I didn't really feel like standing in line). The turkey was okay, the ham was okay, the cornbread stuffing was not so good, and the corn was overcooked. My coworkers made fun of me because I had more dessert on my tray than dinner food (two pieces of pie and some ice cream were added after this picture was taken).
I really can't be held responsible if the desserts are more satisfying than the meal... but it was still a fun time and I enjoyed having dinner with my "deployed family". Hope your Thanksgiving is just as enjoyable!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Like I told you when you called Elizabeth - next year you get to peel all the potatoes and do the cooking. That should be a hoot! Remember, this is a meal from scratch and not order in. You just need some practice. You are just never around on holidays. I sure hope next year is different. In fact I would gladly do the entire meal if I knew you could be with the entire family. Everyone made it for dinner and there was plenty left over, so Tim, Kristen, the boys and Micaela went down home and Kurt put Jonathan down for a nap while he was talking to you. I washed up the extra things, but thank goodness for a dishwasher and paper plates, napkins, cups and even a tablecloth. I would have had twice as many dishes. The dogs are napping in front of the woodstove and I decided to read your blog. Take care sweets. Love you and miss you.