Sunday, November 27, 2011

Christmas Tree Farming

Liz: I didn't know there were such things as Christmas Tree farms

Kurt: Where did you think stores got their Christmas Trees from?

Liz:  I just thought they went out into the woods and cut some down, like in Christmas Vacation.


Needless to say, we got our Christmas Tree this weekend.  From a Christmas Tree Farm.  In Pennsylvania.   We got a saw, rode a tractor out to where the Blue Spruce trees were, picked one out, cut it down, drug it out to the road, loaded it on the trailer, and watched Kurt and his dad strap it to the top of our Minivan.  Then we drove home to MD, cut a couple feet off the bottom (I thought we had taller ceilings...oops), got it set up in the living room, and then watched as the kids decorated it.  Something I learned along the way - Blue Spruce are spikey!!  They are pretty though.  Overall it was a fun experience and now I can say that I've cut down my own Christmas Tree.


The map that tells you where the different trees are



One of the trailers that took people out to the various tree lots (if you didn't want to walk)



What a Christmas Tree farm looks like



An 11 year old with a saw, and a 4 year old... what could possibly go wrong



Dragging the spikey tree back out to the road



She actually saws better than I do





Unloading the trailer



The final product.  We decided to keep it simple and only used our "special" ornaments this year.





2 comments:

Misty said...

I love Micaela with the saw and her little brother. Too funny! I went to a Christmas tree farm a long long time ago, it's a fun way to get a tree.

Michelle A'etonu said...

wow! that looks like a lot of work, but a lot of fun. and the end result is fabulous!