Sunday, November 16, 2008

Not meant to be

Kurt tells me that I have no business being in the kitchen, and he's probably right. For a few days now I have been craving chocolate chip cookies. I tried to get one at Starbucks on Thursday but they were all out. I didn't have anything to do this afternoon, so I thought I'd take a shot at baking. I asked my chef-extraordinaire friend Misty for a recipe and she recommended this one from Martha Stewart. The ingredient list was short and it looked pretty simple, just what I needed. I didn't have unsalted butter, flour, or chocolate so I stopped by the store after picking Micaela up from a birthday party and got those things. I laid all the ingredients out on the counter and after dinner Micaela and I started baking. All seemed to be going well. The recipe didn't say whether or not to grease the pan, so I asked Shellie who recommended parchment paper (what is that?) and then just told me that I wouldn't hurt to lightly grease them. I had 6 cookies on one sheet and 9 on the other ready to go in the oven. Expecting something to go wrong, I put the sheet with 6 cookies in first and set the timer. While waiting for the cookies to bake I started to clean up. When I got to the unopened package of butter I knew I had done something wrong. I held it up and said, "I think I was supposed to use this" to Micaela. I didn't remember it being in the recipe so I went back and looked. I didn't see it, but then Micaela read the first line to me - melt the chocolate AND BUTTER.... oops. Too late now. It said to bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, but I set the timer for 10 just to be safe. I ended up checking after 7 and the cookies were already burned on the bottom. I didn't know that the oven here cooks 50 degrees hotter than what you set it. There is a separate thermometer in the oven which I could have looked at, but I'm still claiming that this one is not my fault. I turned the temperature down 100 degrees (to be safe) and put the next batch in. I only let this batch go 10 minutes and then I took them out thinking they might be done. The recipe says to let them cool for 10 minutes on the pan and then move to a cooling rack to cool even more. That's B.S. What person with a sweet tooth can sit and watch cookies cool?!?! I waited about 10 seconds, moved them to a plate, waited 10 more seconds and then tried the first batch. The chocolate taste overwhelmed the burned bottom so they weren't completely ruined. I waited and waited for the second batch to cool and harden so that we could take some of these cookies down to Bob and Shellie. When they didn't harden I got impatient and just stacked them on a plate and walked down. I told Bob I slightly burnt the first batch, but I though the second batch was alright. That's when he said, well they're not cooked in the middle. Ah, so that's why they wouldn't harden... I'm a moron. All in all, they weren't great, but they satisfied my chocolate craving and I won't feel guilty the next time I buy cookies from the bakery (much less of a hassle). Here are pictures of Martha's cookies and my cow-pie look-alike cookies:



And, my new favorite picture (I caught them both by surprise):

5 comments:

Michelle A'etonu said...

you're so funny. they don't look half bad though ;)

Mari said...

Well it's nice of Misty to have faith in you, but your first problem right off the bat is trying to do a Martha Stewart recipe. I think "Cooking with Kids" is more in your league.

Mari said...

Hey! You didn't do bad just forgetting the butter. Grandpa Hoppman once forgot the flour when baking cookies. The result was an impromptu fire drill complete with fire extinguisher and smoke alarm.


mom

DougE said...

Didn't I buy you "Cooking for Dummies"? You seriously should stick to things from that book until the rest of the family deems you're no longer a "cooking dummy"!

Misty said...

I've found many of Martha's Everyday Food recipes quite accessible actually. If you'd remembered the butter they probably would have turned out fine once you figured out your oven's idiosyncrasies. I think I just have to send you a batch like I've been planning to do. :)