Sunday, July 8, 2007

Fun in the kitchen



Can you guess what that is a picture of? No, it's not dog poop. For the first time in a while we were having a normal boring weekend. Micaela has a list of 100 activities that she has to do this summer and one of them was to make something in the kitchen using measuring cups. We hadn't been grocery shopping in a long time, so we decided to see what was in the cupboards. We thought we had what we needed to make brownies. We had bakers chocolate with an easy recipe on the back of the box but not enough chocolate squares. Luckily the hershey's cocoa powder had a note that said it could be substitued for baker's chocolate if you just add oil. Well, with Micaela helping me, 3 tablespoons of powder and 1 tablespoon of oil, didn't quite come out right. Or at least I think that's where we went wrong. It may have been the stick and a half of butter, I'm not quite sure that was the right amount. Anyways, the consistency never got to looking like brownie batter, but I'm not smart enough to know what I had too much or too little of, so we just threw it in the oven and hoped for the best. When it came out I knew something was wrong since it was kind of sloppy and oily. I let it cool for a while and it started to look a little better, but when I took it out of the pan it came out like you see in the picture above, strikingly similar to dog poo. The good news is that with extra oil, butter, whatever it was that we had too much of, it still takes fantastic. And I'm sure it's good for us (or at least Micaela who needs some more meat on her bones). One of these days something will come out right :)

4 comments:

DougE said...

Happy Birthday.

When you get out here, I'll pay for this.

http://www.lagunaculinaryarts.com/pages/3Q07_Classes/01-gourmetseries3q07.php

Can't have you killing Kurt or your daughter.

DougE said...

Watch your mail.

Mari said...

you are so ridiculous. i like how you tried to blame it on micaela too. you should try betty crocker next time :)

Liz and Kurt said...

That class would be awesome, at least I wouldn't be so dangerous :)Thanks.