Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My turn to rant...

I'm very pissed off at mechanics today. When we got the Grand Cherokee from Kurt's mom it had the brake light and the ABS light on. She had her mechanic in Podunk, PA look at it and he couldn't figure out what was wrong, said her brakes were fine. We got the car and knew that the anti-lock braking system wasn't working, but we thought the normal brakes were okay. Then we started hearing this horrible grinding. We knew something was wrong so we called the Jeep dealership and made an appointment for the next morning. They took a look and said that the computer for the anti-lock brakes was bad and that's why those two lights were on. Repair cost: $600 (ouch). We told them to go ahead, brakes need to work properly. A day and a half later I got another call, it wasn't the computer that was bad, it was the pump (which caused the computer to go bad). Updated repair cost: $1000 (double ouch) and three more days. It was during that same phone conversation that I asked the guy if he had a chance to look at the brakes (refering to the sound). His words were very similar to this "Yeah, we took a look and they are at #### (some number), that's ## under the legal limit so they are fine." Being the retard that I am, I didn't check the receipt to make sure that it stated that they had checked the brake pads/rotors and that they were good. I picked the car up and drove it a block down the street. It didn't feel right. When I pressed on the brake pedal my foot almost went to the floor before I felt it start breaking. I took the car back and asked them to look at it. The mechanic said he could bleed it again, but he had already done it twice, and it was probably just because of the new pump (which has nothing to do with normal breaking). I trusted them and I drove the car up to PA and back over the weekend. When I got back I noticed that there was still that grinding sound and it was a lot worse. I took the Jeep to Meineke today. The driver-side rear brake was metal to metal, absolutely no pad left (no exaggeration, I kept the old pad). That's what was causing the grinding noise, needed a new rotor now too. Also, both front rotors were at the point where they would fail an inspection (but just barely). Repair cost: $500 (getting old). Finally, they informed me that the reason that the pedal was going down so far was because there is a leak in the Master Cylinder, he got out a flashlight and showed me the fluid leaking down. Repair cost: $500 (decided to defer this repair for a little bit). That's when I got angry. Those shady mechanics at the dealership flat out lied!!!! They told me they check my brakes and they were "fine" when in fact, they were horrible! And they blew me off when I told them about the pedal going down so far. I'm pissed, but I'm not a confrontational person and Kurt is just scarier looking, so when he gets back I'm sending him down to the Jeep dealership to raise hell. It's just too bad I don't have anything in writing about having them look at the brakes. On a good note, I did spend a lot of time today educating myself on car brakes and now I have a pretty good idea of how they work and what to look for so I won't get screwed again.

3 comments:

Dennis and Ginny said...

Podunk Pa. !!! It's good Sharon has sworn off computers!

Dennis and Ginny said...

Podunk Pa. !!! It's good Sharon has sworn off computers!

Mari said...

i'm impressed that mom figured out the comments!